So my second born turned 18 this past Saturday, seems like only yesterday when I saw him run around the house holding his Buzz Lightyear making swoooosh noises.
Today he is now an adult, a high school graduate, and in October; October 10th to be specific he will be shipped out to Marine Corps boot camp. I’m extreamly proud of all he’s accomplished thus far and can only expect wonderful things of him in the future.
Now as for this cake, when asked what type of cake he wanted for his birthday he immediately said ‘Coconut!’. I hadn’t made one before so used my googlefoo and found a this fantastic coconut cake recipe, I made a couple of slight adaptations but for the most part it is solid!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH!! XOXO
- 5 large egg whites
- ½ cup (118 ml, 4 fl oz) whole milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2⅓ cups sugar
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup of the Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting (above)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Click here for directions