In all honesty, I had actually planned on sharing this recipe with you last week. But you know, things happen; like b-days and what not.
I thought it would be fitting dessert for St. Patrick’s day, unfortunately reality took place and so… I’m a week too late.
On an unrelated yet coincidental note… it turns out, bread pudding happens to be one of Joey’s favorite desserts. [Insert ‘bad mom’ comment here]. I seriously had no idea, all this time I was under the impression anything cookie dough was his favorite, that is until I shared a couple of pics yesterday. Thanks social media…
He of course made sure to join us for dinner last night and needless to say got his fill of bread pudding.
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1¼ cup + ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- 16 slices rustic white bread, crusts removed
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1½ cups brewed coffee
- ¼ cup irish whiskey
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium saucepan bring heavy cream, ¾ cup sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg to a boil over low heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and ½ cup of sugar, set aside.
- Remove heavy cream mixture off of heat and pour about ½ a cup of the mixture into the egg yolks, whisk to combine and temper the egg yolks.
- Pour egg yolk mixture back into the heavy cream and whisk to incorporate, set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread then cut into cubes/squares.
- Fill cupcake liners with bread cubes, then pour custard equally over each.
- If needed, press bread cubes down into custard to help absorb the liquid.
- Place muffin tin inside a larger pan filled ⅔ of the way up with hot water, cover entire thing with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from water bath, allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, sprinkle tops of puddings with remaining sugar and caramelize with a blow torch (be careful not to blowtorch the cupcake liners.
- In a small saucepan bring coffee, irish whiskey, sugar and vanilla to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce has reduced to half.
- Pour sauce over muffins and serve.