While most of the U.S. has been battling with insanely cold weather the polar vortex has brought upon them, here I was last Monday complaining about how cold it felt walking into our 54 degree house when we got back from Vegas this weekend. So lame, I know…
In hopes to help redeem myself, and before karma comes and bites me in the a** I made you a little something. Something that is guaranteed to help keep you warm. Think of it as a yummy spiked tea. Actually, now that I think about it… that’s exactly what it is. Oh, and might I add, it will probably help fend off any bugs, at least that’s what grandma used to say. So there you go, a multipurpose cocktail. Sweet! I feel redeemed.
- 1 shot whiskey
- 4 ounces boiling water
- tiny splash of fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 teaspoons wild hibiscus syrup
- 1 wild hibiscus flower in syrup, optional garnish
- lemon peel, optional garnish
- Pour whiskey into a heat-resistant glass. Add water, splash of lemon juice, and hibiscus syrup to taste. Stir and garnish with a hibiscus flower and lemon peel.
* You can find Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup on Amazon or at World Market.
* To make your own hibiscus syrup, pick up some dry hibiscus flowers from your local grocery store, then bring to a boil 1 cup water with 1 cup granulated sugar and about 5-8 flowers. Let flowers steep in syrup for 30 minutes before using. Store in fridge for up to one week.
* You can also use this hibiscus syrup to make mojitos, margaritas, and martinis.