Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and that 2014 is off to an amazing start for you.
If you, like me are wornout from all the holiday hustle and bustle and are in need of a jumpstart. I have just the thing… this Espresso Martini Affogato. Now this isn’t your regular run of the mill everyday Espresso Martini. This one contains a shot of espresso in addition to a few ounces of Tripple Shot Espresso vodka. Take that New Year! Oh, and of course, just so we don’t forget this is a dessert blog… we’re adding a touch of vanilla ice cream to it, hence the affogato.
If this thing doesn’t get us going, I don’t know what will.
- 1 or 2 tablespoons vanilla ice cream
- 1 ounce espresso
- 1 sugar cube (4 grams)
- 3 ounces triple shot espresso vodka
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 chocolate hazelnut Pirouette cookie, optional garnish
- Place vanilla ice cream in a martini glass, place glass in the freezer while you prepare the martini.
- Dissolve sugar cube in the espresso.
- In a cocktail shaker with ice combine espresso, espresso vodka and vanilla extract, shake well for 10 to 20 seconds. Strain and pour into prepared martini glass.
- Garnish with a chocolate Pirouette cookie
* My favorite way to enjoy this martini is to take one or two sips (straight-up) before dissolving the vanilla ice cream to create a lighter and sweeter dessert-type martini.
* For a semi-stronger martini use a single tablespoon of vanilla ice cream.
* If you enjoy a strong and not-so-sweet martini you can omit the ice cream all together.
*I used Three Olives Triple Shot Espresso vodka for this cocktail.