I would say I am a pretty decent multitasked, especially when it comes to kitchen.
Overseeing an entire 7 course dinner menu requires an insurmountable amount of work, but it is usually something I can handle without a problem.
Unfortunately this weekend I failed miserably. And, I say miserably because all that was required of me, was to prepare a cocktail and a dessert. Hello!?!
So, as I was preparing to this delicious brownie I forgot one key ingredient. Take a wild guess what it was…
If you guessed sugar, you are absolutely right. I couldn’t believe I made such a rookie mistake. Luckily, the caramel bits I added to the first batter didn’t make it that *terrible*. But, once I remade it the following day with a couple of adjustments, those I had subjected to tasting the sugarless original version were like, oh yeah… what a diference.
I decided to omit the caramel bits out of the second version because they weren’t melting as much as I would like. Not to worry, that caramel whipped cream gave these brownies that sweet finishing touch.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons espresso powder
- 4 ounces caramels
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a microwave bowl melt chocolate and butter for 2-3 minutes at 50% power.
- While chocolate and butter are melting in the microwave prepare pumpkin filling. Blend together all the ingredients for the pumpkin filling in a small bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed. Once pumpkin mixture is smooth and creamy, set aside.
- Remove bowl with chocolate and butter from microwave, stir until smooth and incorporated. Then Stir in sugar and espresso powder into brownie batter until melted. Whisk in eggs, vanilla, and salt. Then whisk in flour just until combined.
- Scoop ¾ of the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth out to form an even base. Spoon the pumpkin filling evenly over the brownie then top with remaining brownie batter. Drag a butter knife through the batter to create swirls. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Allow to cool completely before topping with caramel whipped cream.
- While brownie is baking prepare the caramel whipped cream. In a small microwave-safe bowl melt caramel in heavy cream in the microwave for 2-3 minutes at 50% power. Blend on low speed for 2-3 minutes then increase speed to medium for another 2-3 minutes until caramels have dissolved. Transfer mixture into the refrigerator and allow to chill for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready to serve blend with a hand mixer just until stiff peaks being to form.
- There’s two ways to go about serving these: One, you can spread the frosting evenly over the brownies then slice and serve. Or, you can slice them up and spread as much frosting as you like over each individual piece. I prefer the latter…