How is it possible that in all my years of living in California I have never, not once, made it up to northern wine country? This girl, who was born in California, has spent close to 80% of her life living in California, and has such a huge appreciation for the particular type of fermentation that region is known for has never set foot on a Northern California vineyard! Completely unacceptable am I right?
Sure, I happen to only live 30 minutes away from Temecula and I have visited a couple of their vineyards. It feels as though I have only experienced the local fair and have yet to pay a visit to one of the major state theme parks.
Hopefully this story will change this weekend, for according to my husband—I’m still apparently in denial. We’ll be catching a flight first thing this AM and head up for a weekend of… wait for it… wine tasting in Sonoma!
So while I pretend to be a sophisticated connoisseur and act like I know everything there is to know about the 5 “S’s” of wine tasting (see, swirl, sniff, sip, and savor). I have created a similarly sophisticated dessert martini for you to enjoy while I report back on my adventures next week.
I decided to coin the word sophisticated because:
A) I chose to add a pinch of sea salt flakes to the martini (the salted caramel vodka wasn’t salty enough for my taste buds)
B) I also added a couple of dashes of aromatic bitters for additional depth and dimension.
So please enjoy, and hopefully if all goes well I’ll have lots to share with you next week!
- 1½ ounces salted caramel vodka
- 1 ounce caramel liqueur
- ¾ ounce hazelnut liqueur
- 2 drops of aromatic bitters
- pinch of maldon sea salt flakes
- caramel sauce
- finely chopped pretzels
- caramel candies (optional)
- pretzel sticks (optional)
- Pour enough caramel sauce to rim the martini glass in a plate.
- Place chopped pretzels in a separate plate.
- Dip martini glass into the caramel sauce then into chopped pretzels. Place martini glass in the freeze and allow to chill for 5-10 minutes.
- In a cocktail shaker with ice combine martini ingredients, shake well strain and pour into prepared martini glass.
- Optional: Garnish with caramel candies and a pretzel stick if desired.