Pie Pops, Lollipop Pies, Mini Pies on a Stick

January 30, 2012

in American,Pies & Tarts,Recipes

Pie Pops - Lollipop Pies - Mini Pies on a Stick

I was just beginning to get over a cold when I found out there was a potluck baby shower being put together for a couple of girls at work who are due to deliver around the same time. One of them is having a boy and the other is having a little girl.

About a week before the event I stopped by to RSVP with Kelly who was organizing the event. She handed me a pen and asked me to write down the item I would be contributing to the potluck. I took the pen and immediately wrote down the first thing that came to mind on the piece of paper pinned up to one of the walls in her cube. “French Macarons – Josie”.

I began counting down the days and agonizing over what I would contribute to the potluck. As hard as I tried and as much as I wanted to, I was just unable to gather up the energy to whip up a batch of French Macarons.

A few days before the event I was going through my grocery list and gathering coupons (oh yeah… I’m not above coupon clipping) when I came across one for Pillsbury Pie Crust and thought… baby pies; that would be a great quick and easy dessert to bring to the potluck.

Before I headed to the grocery store I did some quick research and found just the inspiration I was looking for thanks to Luxirare, and of course Bakerella, who never-ever lets us down.

These Baby Pies were so quick and easy to put together, they were a lifesaver!

I filled half of the with strawberry preserves (girl) and half with blueberry preserves (boy).

5.0 from 3 reviews

• ½-3/4 cup fruit preserves*
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 24 lollipop sticks
  • 1 egg white
  • Turbinado sugar for dusting
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
  3. Place pastry dough over a smooth and lightly flowered surface. Cut out 24 rounds with a 2½ inch fluted or round cookie cutter and place them over the prepared baking sheets.
  4. With a pastry brush, brush the base of the pie pops with butter.
  5. Scoop between ½-1 teaspoon of preserves onto the center of each pastry round, then place a lollipop stick half way down the center.
  6. Gather remaining dough and scraps. Continue to roll out dough until you have covered each pie pop base.
  7. Break off about 2 inches worth of a lollipop stick and use it to press down and around the pie filling creating a fluted edge. Repeat until all pie pop tops have been pressed down a fluted.
  8. Lightly beat the egg white in a small bowl. Take a pastry brush and brush all tops with egg white, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
  9. Bake first 2 baking sheets for approximatly 14-16 minutes rotating sheets halfway through until tops are lightly golden brown. Bake remaining sheet for 14-16 minutes following the same guidelines.
Notes
*I made these for a dual baby shower we had at work; one of my colleagues is having a girl and the other is having a boy, so I chose to go with half Strawberry and half Blueberry preserves for the filling. But, you can practically choose any filling you like for these; savory or sweet. *I had enough dough to bake 24 pops, this amount may vary depending on how thick you roll out the dough. *I would suggest rolling out the dough before you begin working with it, otherwise the pie pops will be too thick and like Bakerella mentioned the ratio of pie crust-to-filling was a bit much. (So try to roll out the pie crust a little thinner than usual.)

1 Kathia January 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

Que buen tutorial!! Love it. I am printing it now for a future party. Gracias!!

2 Daydreamer Desserts January 31, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Hi Kathia, so glad you liked the tutorial. Que grande esta la niña ya… saludos. xo – Josie

3 Belinda @zomppa January 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Man, these are awesome and SOOOO brilliant!

4 Daydreamer Desserts January 31, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Thank you so much Belinda! Hope all is well… xo – Josie

5 annie January 31, 2012 at 4:00 am

These are brilliantly cute I have made cake pops before and never would
Have thought of mini pie pops I’m diffintly gong to try this for the next baby shower
I get invited to I think they would be a hit thanks so much
For sharing

6 Daydreamer Desserts January 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Hi Annie, my pleasure. They are so quick and easy to make just make sure you put as much filling as you can into them so the crust doesn’t overpower. -Josie

7 bridget {bake at 350} January 31, 2012 at 6:23 am

Oh gosh…I MUST try these sometime! I bet they were the HIT of the shower!

PS…I coupon clip, too! ;)

8 Daydreamer Desserts January 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

They were so quick and easy to make, the girls all loved them! Yay! For savvy coupon clipping mommies! xo

9 Russell at Chasing Delicious January 31, 2012 at 7:40 pm

What a fun recipe. These guys are soo cute! The look scrumptious too.

10 Daydreamer Desserts January 31, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Thank you!

11 Paula @ Spoons n Spades January 31, 2012 at 11:45 pm

What a fabulous idea! They look really wonderful :-)

12 angela@spinachtiger February 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I make mini hand-held pies all the time (cause I love pie, and these are added to the list. So cute, I usually put a slice of pear or apple with jelly, but just jelly or jam or preserves is a great idea to. I’ve subscribed to your blog but I never get the email notification. Should I try to do it again. I did get it a few times, but very intermittently.

13 Daydreamer Desserts February 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

Hi Angela, thanks for stopping by, next time I’ll definitely add a little fresh fruit to them. So, I had an issue with my subscription plug-in and I had to remove and re-install, I think that’s what happened. Regardless, I’ve gone ahead and re-added you. :) Thank you! -Josie

14 Maureen February 2, 2012 at 1:37 am

OMG what a wonderful idea !! I can’t wait to try it. People will think I’m clever and in truth I’ll be a copycat. :)

15 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} February 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm

what a cute idea for a baby shower. And ever the red and blue jam for filling!

16 Jeanie November 24, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hi!
This is the neatest idea and I am excited about fixing them for another selection on T-day this week. I have purchased all of my ingredients, however, after bringing them home, it occurred to me the lollipop sticks (bought at a hobby/craft store) are actually paper! The description on the package is actually “Cookie Sticks”. Will these be dangerous in an oven when I attempt to bake the pies???

Thanks for any assistance!!

17 Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2013 at 7:24 am

Hi Jeanie, those will work just fine! -Josie

18 Jeanie November 25, 2013 at 8:52 am

Thank you so much! I am excited about serving something fun and different, Happy, happy holiday!!!

19 KIM BROWN April 2, 2014 at 10:13 am

What about using a bunny or egg shape cut out and icing decoration. with or with out the stick. for Easter potluck? I have not tried making them yet.

20 Daydreamer Desserts April 2, 2014 at 9:10 pm