You know me, I love adding unique twists to traditional sweets, and/or cocktails for that matter.
Given that fact it shouldn’t surprise you that today in honor of FN Dish’s Fall Fest: Pumpkin celebration, I chose to Pumpkin-ize the Fattigmann, a Norwegian fried-dough cookie traditionally flavored with cardamom and brandy. To Pumpkin-ize them, I added a touch of pureed pumpkin to the dough, substituted the cardamom for pumpkin pie spice, and brandy for bourbon. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1¾ ounces granulated sugar
- 1.5 ounces heavy whipping cream
- ¼ ounce bourbon
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 7 ounces (1¾ cups approx.) all purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- confectioner's sugar for dusting
- With a handheld blender or immersion blender fitted with a whisk attachment beat egg and yolk in a medium bowl until pale yellow and foamy.
- Add sugar, cream, bourbon, pumpkin puree, salt, and pumpkin spice to eggs and mix until well incorporated.
- With a wooden spoon stir in flour until dough is formed. Remove dough from bowl and continue blending with hands if necessary. Wrap dough with plastic wrap, transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Pour vegetable oil into a sauté pan and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- On a floured surface roll dough to ⅛ inch thick. Cut dough into 1½ inch thick lengthwise strips cut each strip at an angle into 4 inch pieces. Make a 1 inch cut in the center of each piece and gently pull one end through the slit.
- Fry fattigmanns for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Dust lightly with confectioner's sugar before serving.
Here are a few more fantastic Fall Fest Pumpkin recipes for you to try:
What’s Gaby Cooking: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
The Cultural Dish: Pumpkin Waffles
Cooking With Elise: Pumpkin Chip Scones
And Love It Too: Creamy Pumpkin Fruit Dip
CIA Dropout: Pumpkin Panna Cotta With Gingerbread
Haute Apple Pie Girls: Pumpkin Bread Parfait
I Am Mommy: Pumpkin Pancakes
Dishin and Dishes: Maple Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Virtually Homemade: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins With Pumpkin Seed Streusel
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pumpkin Pizza
From My Corner of Saratoga: Baking Pie In The Pumpkin
FN Dish: The Ultimate Pumpkin Soup
Cooking Channel: Pumpkin Risotto
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Molasses Marshmallows
Daily*Dishin: Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake
ZaikaZabardast: Pumpkin Jalebi
Mooshu Jenne: Pumpkin Nutella Bread
Big Girls Small Kitchen: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Loaf