Fall Fest: Pumpkin Fattigmann

October 26, 2011

in Cookies,Norwegian,Recipes

Pumpkin Fattigmann

You know me, I love adding unique twists to traditional sweets, and/or cocktails for that matter.

Given that fact it shouldn’t surprise you that today in honor of FN Dish’s Fall Fest: Pumpkin celebration, I chose to Pumpkin-ize the Fattigmann, a Norwegian fried-dough cookie traditionally flavored with cardamom and brandy. To Pumpkin-ize them, I added a touch of pureed pumpkin to the dough, substituted the cardamom for pumpkin pie spice, and brandy for bourbon. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

4.0 from 1 reviews
Pumpkin Fattigmann

Recipe type: Recipe Type: Dessert
Serves: Makes 48 cookies approx.
Ingredients
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1¾ ounces granulated sugar
  • 1.5 ounces heavy whipping cream
  • ¼ ounce bourbon
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
  • ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 7 ounces (1¾ cups approx.) all purpose flour
  • 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
  • confectioner's sugar for dusting
Directions
  1. With a handheld blender or immersion blender fitted with a whisk attachment beat egg and yolk in a medium bowl until pale yellow and foamy.
  2. Add sugar, cream, bourbon, pumpkin puree, salt, and pumpkin spice to eggs and mix until well incorporated.
  3. With a wooden spoon stir in flour until dough is formed. Remove dough from bowl and continue blending with hands if necessary. Wrap dough with plastic wrap, transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill for at least 1 hour.
  4. Pour vegetable oil into a sauté pan and preheat to 350 degrees F.
  5. On a floured surface roll dough to ⅛ inch thick. Cut dough into 1½ inch thick lengthwise strips cut each strip at an angle into 4 inch pieces. Make a 1 inch cut in the center of each piece and gently pull one end through the slit.
  6. Fry fattigmanns for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Dust lightly with confectioner's sugar before serving.

Here are a few more fantastic Fall Fest Pumpkin recipes for you to try:

The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Molasses Marshmallows
Daily*Dishin: Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake
ZaikaZabardast: Pumpkin Jalebi
Mooshu Jenne: Pumpkin Nutella Bread
Big Girls Small Kitchen: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Loaf

1 Belinda @zomppa October 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

Beautiful! These are gorgeous and love the pumpkin addition.

2 Amalia October 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm

These look super delicious! The perfect little cite-size treat or snack! My mom actually has made these, and they taste as good as they look! This is a great recipe, and I love your pictures!

3 Katrina October 27, 2011 at 4:17 am

I love the sound of these. Can’t wait to try!

4 Anna October 27, 2011 at 6:03 am

This crunchy snack is new for my taste buds. I love the texture of the batter. I am having a hard time twisting the strips though (I blame it on my slow hand coordination movements…)
Anyway, in whatever form, they still taste good. Lovely!

5 Danguole October 27, 2011 at 8:11 am

Lithuanians make these too! I was browsing Tastespotting and this immediately jumped out at me with childhood memories. Beautiful photos, by the way!

6 Russell at Chasing Delicious October 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

Wow! This looks so delicious. I’ve never tried anything like a Fattigman. I’m going to have to change that!

7 Twin Tables October 27, 2011 at 11:12 am

Oh my goodness! I never see anyone do a Fattigman recipe. I grew up on this stuff but once my Grandmother passed away, no one knows how to make it. And pumpkin! That sounds amazing! Thank you so much for this recipe!

8 Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves October 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I love it! Never heard of these before but they look simple. I hope those aren’t my famous last words!

9 Baker Street October 27, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Holy yum! These sound absolutely divine!

10 sippitysup October 28, 2011 at 10:14 am

I had very similar looking cookies in (of all places) Norway! GREG

11 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’m pretty sure I have had these before, but I never knew what they were called! Your pumpkin version looks so tasty!

12 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

These look like a fantastic treat! I love the pumpkin twist you put on them!

13 betty October 28, 2011 at 9:34 pm

they look interesting but good, of course I will add some jam :)

14 angela@spinachtiger October 29, 2011 at 8:49 am

This is why your a Baker and I am baker.

15 Jen at The Three Little Piglets October 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

Those are beautiful! And they look just the right size to pop into your mouth…

16 Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) October 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Gorgeous little nibbles.

17 Liz Vadset November 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Being half Norwegian I grew up eating these and when I first saw your recipe I thought, “what, pumpkin Fattigmann, no way jose!” But then it hit me..these cookies are actually rather bland, and I do love pumpkin…hmmm. Now I’m anxious to bake them! Arigato (I’m also half Japanese) for sharing this recipe. :)