I have to admit this Summer lovin’ girl has finally fallen head over heals for Fall. It all started almost a month ago when I first took a quick glance at the Better Homes and Gardens Fall Baking 2011 magazine while at the checkout stand at my local grocery store. Although I didn’t pick up a copy right away, two or three visits later I just couldn’t resist and decided I just had to bring one home with me.
Once at home I reviewed each recipe carefully and set the magazine aside deciding I just wasn’t ready to face the fact that Summer was almost over.
This weekend that all changed when I pulled the magazine back out and carefully flipped through it’s pages for the nth time. Because of this magazine I’ve switched out all of my Bath & Body Works wallflowers from Twilight Woods to Pumpkin Patch, I proceeded to whip up a pumpkin cocktail (which I will be sharing with you this Friday), and finally raised the white flag to Fall when I began making this rich and intentionally dense Pumpkin coffee cake which is perfectly balanced with a very deliberate drizzle of coffee glaze.
I give up… “Fall”… you win!
- Pumpkin Latte Cream Cheese Swirl
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee power
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Coffee Drizzle
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso coffee poweder
- 1-2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper and spry with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare pumpkin latte cream cheese swirl. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer for about 1 minute until fluffy. Add eggs, espresso powder, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low until smooth.
- Prepare Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Whisk flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir heavy cream and pureed pumpkin until dissolved. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter on medium speed until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly drizzle in sugar and continue mixing. Add eggs one at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Alternate the addition of the remaining dry and wet ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with a 2-3 inch thick layer of cake batter. Pour cream cheese mixture over the top and with a spoon swirl into the cake batter. Top with remaining cake batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Prepare drizzle while cake cools.
- In a small bowl whisk together confectioners sugar, instant espresso powder and 1 tablespoon brewed coffee. Use additional brewed coffee to thin drizzle if too thick.