Peanut Butter Candy Corn Cookies

September 19, 2011

in American,Cookies,Drop

Peanut Butter Candy Corn Cookies

I think we all have a particular magazine reading style, today I’d like to walk you through a sample of mine.

Early last week I received the October 2011 edition of Food & Wine magazine in the mail. I found it carefully placed right beside my iMac waiting patiently for me to pick it up once I got home from work.

The first thing I did when I saw it was smile. I then picked it up and carefully read all the captions on the cover. I was intrigued by the new French Classics which was printed in a large bold all cap font as well as the much more understated mention of where to go, and what to taste —what sommeliers know best about wine country.

Once the information on the cover was absorbed it was time to scan the indexes. Before that though, I made a long pause on page 6 where I found a ridiculously good looking grilled cheese sandwich made with fresh cheese curds, cheddar and bacon waiting to be transferred off a sizzling skillet. I somehow managed to pull myself away from the grilled cheese and made my way to the general recipe index, where a thorough scan of the Dessert & Confection recipe list took place followed by all the other categories. I then moved onto the Wine index where the 2008 Chono Reserva caught my eye. An herbal, berry-scented Chilean Syrah which they’ve paired with a recipe for Cider-Maple Pork Chops with Woodland Bitters Compote (note-to-self, must try).

The Wine index was followed by their index by Menu. The two that caught my eye were the Elegant Brunch, which starts off with a Cranberry-Spice Cocktail and includes a Speedy Ratatouille with Goat Cheese among a few other mouthwatering recipes, and their Dinner for Francophiles kicked off with a crab and celery root remoulade, a double baked cheese soufflé and Duck a l’Orange to name a few.

After reading the indexes I went back to the main index and looked up all the dessert recipes, the one that caught my eye the most was the Candy-Corn-and-Chocolate-Chip Cookies. What I’m sharing with you today is a slightly adapted version of them.

I’m still not done reading the entire magazine, but the process that follows is pretty much the norm… flip through each page carefully, read the articles that catch my eye, and make a note of the recipes I want to try.

What’s your magazine reading style?

Peanut Butter Candy Corn Cookies

Prep time
Total time

Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 18
Ingredients
  • #ingredient#
Directions
  1. Cornflake Crunch
  2. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  3. In a medium bowl combine cornflakes instant non-fat milk powder, light brown sugar, and salt. Give it a good toss to help coat the flakes evenly. Pour melted butter over flake mixture, stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Evenly distribute flake mixture over prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
  4. Allow flakes to cool completely before adding into the cookie batter.
  5. Peanut Butter Candy Corn Cookie Batter
  6. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
  7. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
  8. Cream butter and both types of sugar in a bowl with a hand-held or stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, reduce speed to low and beat just until combined.
  9. Alternate adding dry ingredients and peanut butter.
  10. Stir in cooled Cornflake Crunch, Reese's peanut butter chips and candy corn.
  11. Scoop cookie dough using a ¼ cup cookie scoop and place 6 onto each of the prepared baking sheets. Flatten cookies out slightly and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for about 3 hours.
  12. When ready to bake place oven rack in the center and pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake cookies one sheet at a time for 13-15 minutes.
  13. Allow cookies to cool on tray before serving.

More Candy Corn inspired cookies

Last Minute Candy Corn Cookies from Bake at 350
Candy Corn Cookies from The Cooking Photographer
Candy Corn Sugar Cookies from The Other Side of 50

1 Tes September 19, 2011 at 6:41 am

Wow ! What a fun cookies! I put a reminder to add this to my Halloween bake :)

2 Brooks at Cakewalker September 19, 2011 at 7:20 am

Daydreamer, what beautiful cookies you have! We approach food magazines in the same manner – cover carefully scanned, recipes indexed then thumb back to the ones that are the most intriguing first. All the fall fare coming out has me engaged for the baking season and this terrific post with great photography sets the pace. Job well done!

3 Colleen Bierstine September 19, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh my gosh…why have I never seen candy corn in a cookie before? Brilliant! I also would’ve never thought of the candy corn/PB combo, and yet that sounds perfect! I want these now!

4 RavieNomNoms September 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

These are so great!! My sister would go crazy over these things!! She loves candy corn!

5 Belinda @zomppa September 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm

These are way too adorable! I LOVE them – have to make them again for Halloween.

6 Liz September 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

We always have to have a bowl of candy corn in the house during October….so I will definitely reserve some for these wonderful cookies~

7 Katrina September 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm

These are so fun! Love them :)

8 Beth Michelle September 20, 2011 at 1:07 am

These cookies look amazing!!! I so want to make them!

9 paul li September 20, 2011 at 2:36 am

mmmm these look excellent!

10 Ann September 20, 2011 at 6:05 am

What a FUN recipe! I love the way the melted and still kept their terrific color!

11 bridget {bake at 350} September 20, 2011 at 6:30 am

I love Food & Wine….I actually had to stop subscribing because I had so many dog-eared and torn pages that were piling up to make.

I love the the candy corns are baking IN the cookies….how fun is that?!? (And thanks so much for the linky love, my dear!)

12 Cooking Creation September 20, 2011 at 4:34 pm

My daughter would love this. Definitely bookmarking this one :)

13 Madison Chloe Marie September 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I have not tasted a candy corn since my first year in college, but every year I crave them and those little pumpkins!

14 Evan Thomas September 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I am shocked that my local CVS hasn’t already started selling candy corn. I love the sound of these cookies; it combines two of my favorite foods.

15 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen September 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I have an odd habit of starting at the back of the magazine and working my way to the front tabbing each recipe that I’m interested in. Once I’ve got a big stack of them I go through and rip out all the recipes.

16 Sandra's Easy Cooking September 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Oh these look divine..what a great idea using candy corn..this is must for Halloween school party!!

17 Laura October 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

I made these last week. They were super delicious. Very rich! My only recommendation would be to spread them out over a baking sheet to form bars. Otherwise, you need to be careful that the candy corn is not on the edges of the cookies at all. Would probably be best off to leave it out of the dough entirely, and just smush a couple into the top/middle of each cookie so they don’t melt everywhere.

18 Lisa October 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Shared these with coworkers & friends yesterday, and they were a hit! Though the parchment paper is really key…I only had enough for one pan, and the pans without turned into more of a cookie snack mix [translated: crumbled mess]. Still tasted great! Thanks for sharing this recipe.