Aztec Chocolate Biscotti

March 16, 2011

in Biscotti,Cookies,Italian,Mexican

Aztec Chocolate Biscotti

Today I’ll be sharing just a few slightly shallow highs and lows, so just humor me.

High

Looking forward to celebrating my 39th birthday is in a few days.

Low

This will be the last year I can check the 35-39 age group box.
(Guess that’s not really a low [Insert good bottle of wine analogy]) ;)

High

In a few short weeks I’ll be visiting Cancun for the very first time.

Low

So will the few extra pounds that have decided to call my body home since my endeavors in dessert blogging began.

High

“I came across your blog which features some really fun dessert recipes, especially the Apple Tatin Ice Cream Sandwiches. I am wondering if you would be able to have a quick preliminary conversation to learn more about you and your food blog.”

Low

Post preliminary conversation: “Unfortunately it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to book you for this episode.”

On that bright note, I think we need to switch gears and talk about something with apparently a bit more swagger, such as these Aztec Chocolate Biscotti.

As their name states these aren’t your ordinary chocolate biscotti. The base of these luscious babies consists of a rich dark dutch processed cocoa powder, just enough cinnamon to take your taste buds back a few centuries to central Mexico, and a dash of cayenne pepper for a little warrior kick.

Then, just when you thought you had them figured out, Aztec warrior moves and all… you are surprised once again. This time you are transported to a quaint Tuscan Cafe thanks to the quintessential slivered almonds tightly woven throughout the biscotti. And as with all stories (good or bad) this one must also come to an end.

Because I care for you so much and didn’t want to feel abandoned in that tiny quaint cafe, I made sure you were able to find you way back home safely by leaving you a trail of bittersweet chocolate chips…

Aztec Chocolate Biscotti

Aztec Chocolate Biscotti

Makes approximately 24 biscotti

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne red pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon if you are feeling feisty)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

In a large bowl whisk together, flour, cocoa powder, both types of sugar, cinnamon, red pepper, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the bowl.

In a small bowl whisk together eggs and heavy cream and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. With a wooden spoon stir to combine.

Stir in sliced almonds and chocolate chips.

Divide dough in half, and shape into two flat 4 inch wide logs. Warning, dough will be very sticky, sprinkle with a little flour if necessary to help you shape the logs.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Once slightly cool, you can begin slicing the biscotti into 1 inch thick slices.

Place sliced biscotti back on the cookie sheet and bake for an additional 15-20. Remove from oven and allow them to cool on a wire back before transferring them to into a sealable plastic container.

Aztec Chocolate Biscotti

Be Sociable, Share!

1 Belinda @zomppa March 16, 2011 at 5:43 am

So many things happening! Cancun sounds like fun…happy almost birthday!!! This biscotti looks amazing! Dunk in some hot cocoa.

2 Blog is the NEw Black March 16, 2011 at 5:48 am

Looks deadly and delish!

3 Ken│hungry rabbit March 16, 2011 at 5:49 am

Are they crazy? You are a natural on camera. Combine with your mad skills in making stunning desserts, it’s a winning combo. I’ll be happy to take on those few pounds for you if I get to eat all these delicious desserts.

4 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 16, 2011 at 6:01 am

Sometimes life really takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride doesn’t it? Well we would never enjoy the highs if there weren’t lows to compare them to, at least that’s what I keep telling myself when I’m going through the lows! Of course a few chocolate biscotti are always a bright note.

5 Deeba March 16, 2011 at 6:06 am

Lifes like that…but you made it sound such fun & black & white! YUM biscotti…absolutely YUM!

6 TripleScoop March 16, 2011 at 8:41 am

I would really like some of those biscotti today to get me through the rest of the week. Have fun in Cancun I was there a couple years ago and had a blast! And I heard 40 is the new 30…

7 Kathleen March 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

These sound fabulous! Have a blast in Cancun!

8 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 16, 2011 at 11:10 am

Yum! I love biscotti… And these chocolate ones look so much better than the plain ones I usually make. Love them!

Have a great time in Cancun!

9 DessertForTwo March 16, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Eee! I almost jumped outta my chair when I saw these! I did something with chocolate, cinnamon and cayenne this week too–in regular cookie form! Great minds think alike :)

Don’t worry ’bout the lows–there will always be more highs :)

10 Nancy@acommunaltable March 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Aw, your still just a baby!!! These biscotti sound wonderful and would be terrific with a good cup of coffee!!!
Hope you have a very happy Birthday and a wonderful time in Cancun!!

11 Bonnie Banters March 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Oh, you’re still young…believe me! Going back, I was very surprised when I had a hard time turning 30; for some reason that was the most difficult hallmark for me (so far anyway).

As I tell everyone, I have to have my chocolate. I can picture this wonderful biscotti with a good cup of coffee…and we all know how well chocolate (and biscotti) goes with coffee!

12 Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 18, 2011 at 6:03 am

Clearly you are destined for better things. And Ken’s right – you would be a natural on camera. And these biscotti?? WOOW!!!

13 Grammy T. March 20, 2011 at 6:08 am

I am going to try these today. Thank you so much for sharing. They look delightful. ;)

14 The Farmers Wife March 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Love, Love, Love Biscotti! I’ve never met a biscotti I didn’t like (I just don’t ask my thigh’s opinions on the matter!), and will have to try these asap!!!

15 Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 23, 2011 at 12:06 am

Oh! My! This looks phenomenal! Bookmarked :)

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo