Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Truffles

January 5, 2011

in American,Cakes,Cheesecakes,Confections & Candies,Recipes

Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Truffles

Now before you run away… let me just say that I wanted to start the year by challenging myself to come up with a new recipe using an ingredient you wouldn’t normally think of using to make a dessert.

Last summer I created a video for Paula Dean’s Real Women of Philadelphia in which I demonstrated how to make Espresso Hazelnut Cheesecake Ice Cream

Well, just a few weeks ago Real Women of Philadelphia announced a new video challenge using Philadelphia’s newest product, Philadelphia Cooking Cream.

Philadelphia Savory Garlic Cooking Cream

Not being able to resist, I signed up for the challenge and received a few samples of the following flavors: Original, Santa Fe, Italian Cheese and herb, and Savory Garlic. Of course I could have very well taken the easy route and made something with the Original flavor, but what fun would that be?

Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake
Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Balls rolled in Graham Cracker Crumbs
Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Truffles
Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Truffle

Before we jump into the details of how to make these. I have to give a big shout out to a dear blogger friend of mine The Baking Barrister whom I met in San Francisco this past November, for she was the inspiration source of these babies.

Now, you may possibly be asking yourself where is my entry for said “video” challenge? Well, there isn’t one yet. Since I decided to start making these late last night while in my PJ’s; which is probably not best outfit choice for a video challenge submission (although that may be debatable) and I was too lazy to change, guess I’ll just have to make them again for the camera.

Buddy’s Chocolate Cake

adapted from Stories and Recipes from Mia Famiglia Cake Boss by Buddy Valastro

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup unsweetened Baker’s chocolate, melted
1/2 cup hot water
2 extra large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
Wilton Bake Easy Non-Stick Cooking Spray

Spray 2 – 9″ round cake pans with the non-stick cooking spray.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Add flour, sugar, butter, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on low for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add melted unsweetened chocolate and mix to incorporate. Add water and mix on medium-low speed for 1 minute.

Add eggs one at a time continue to mix on low 30 for seconds before adding the second egg. Add buttermilk and mix on medium-low for 1-2 minutes until all ingredients have been incorporated.

Divide batter equally between the two cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pans approx 1 hr.

Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Truffles

Buddy’s Chocolate Cake
4 ounces Philadelphia savory garlic cooking cream
4 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered Sugar
1/2 cup Nestle’s cocoa powder
3 sheets graham cracker, ground into fine crumbs
14 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips

Transfer cooled chocolate cake to a bowl and crumble with hands.

In a medium bowl whisk together savory garlic cooking cream, cream cheese powdered sugar, cocoa powder.

Add whisked cream cheese mixture to the crumbled chocolate cake and blend together with hands.

Using a 1″ cookie scoop create 1″ balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Roll truffles in graham cracker crumbs and place back on the lined baking sheet.

Melt bittersweet chocolate using the double broiler method. Dip cheesecake truffles in chocolate then place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and top with a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs.

Chocolate Garlic Cheesecake Truffles

What is the craziest flavor combination you’ve experimented with?

Be Sociable, Share!

1 Blog is the New Black January 5, 2011 at 2:52 am

Totally intrigued by this recipe. I like your new challenge to yourself!

2 Belinda @zomppa January 5, 2011 at 5:15 am

At first, I thought, huh? But I think I get it…and especially with these photos, you couldn’t keep me away. Great job!

3 Mary January 5, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’ve seen these before and I’ve always wondered how they would taste. They certainly are beautiful to look at. I hope you’ve had a great holiday and that the new year brings all measure of good thing your way. Blessings…Mary

4 briarrose January 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Lovely, unusual truffles.

5 Christine (The Raw Project) January 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow, very creative and original!

6 sippitysup January 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I think Baking Barrister was passing around chocolate garlic something at FoodBuzz, but I missed it. Is it REALLY good? GREG

7 Daydreamer Desserts January 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Yes, she was passing around chocolate garlic truffles at Foodbuzz but I didn’t get a chance to try one either. The garlic flavor in these is really mild and doesn’t really hit you until the very end. The 1 person who didn’t like them was Joseph, my oldest. Jose and the younger two, plus the folks at work all thought they were great including myself.

8 culinaryneophyte January 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Awesome idea! How did they taste? Could you detect the garlic?

9 Daydreamer Desserts January 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I thought they tasted great, the garlic flavor is pretty mild… you only begin to taste it towards the end.

10 Maria January 6, 2011 at 6:49 am

Interesting! I think I need to try at least a few of these:)

11 Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen January 6, 2011 at 6:55 am

I’m intrigued! Can’t wait to check out the recipe!

12 RavieNomNoms January 6, 2011 at 7:01 am

When I saw this post title I just had to read it. Very creative! I am so curious as to how these taste, I would most definitely reach for one and give it a try!

13 Angela January 6, 2011 at 7:02 am

Good challenge for the year! I have to say the combination of ingredients didn’t appeal to me but I don’t think I’ve ever met something dipped in chocolate that I didn’t like. So in a way, you’ve challenged us too – thanks :)

14 Maya January 6, 2011 at 7:20 am

My craziest flavor combination? I think that would have to be roasted red bell pepper and vanilla, made into ice cream! It tasted great, by the way, almost like (wait for it) cashew nuts! I love this combination of chocolate and vanilla, and have come across this unusual pairing in an ice cream too… Must try it out, now you’ve aroused my curiosity!

15 les 2 gourmands January 6, 2011 at 8:29 am

these are just the kind we’d love to taste !!!

16 Kate @ Diethood.com January 6, 2011 at 9:04 am

My husband always says that if there was a cake made with garlic, he would eat it…now you’ve made his dreams come true! :) Thank you for sharing…I will have to make these asap.

17 DessertForTwo January 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m totally intrigued…now I must make these! Thanks for sharing :)

18 Tiffany January 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I’m all for interesting flavor combinations! I would totally try these!

19 Kita January 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm

How did these turn out? What was the taste? Did the garlic come through? I am so curious! I think it sounds like a really neat idea.

20 Baking Barrister January 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

WOO! Another garlic & chocolate recipe. I’m so excited you were inspired to create something that I’m sure is even better than my truffles (and a lot more creative and harder work). The chocolate really does mask garlic until the end, where you get the subtle notes.

21 sara @CaffeIna January 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I remember BB truffles so so so well…yes, I do think they were amazing (and I’m italian…I don’t hide behind politeness :) ) You could detect the garlic but at the same time it was not overwhelming. I’m glad you are giving a shot at these too. I’m looking forward to see the video!

22 Jeanne January 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I love garlic and I love chocolate…so why not? It’s a rather unlikely combo but it actually sounds really good. Do you ship these? ;)

23 Amy January 8, 2011 at 7:57 am

I had to read this one when I saw the title, as I am intrigued by odd flavor combos! They sound awesome though, and I would love to devour a few ;)!

24 Liana @ femme fraiche January 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh wow! I’m not gonna lie to you…it doesn’t sound appealing..I am kind of scared..but my love for garlic might just allow for these little treats to tickle my fancy! Good work on your creativity!

25 Magic of Spice January 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm

What a fascinating combination…a must try!

26 Meg January 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I did a double take there! Garlic? Sounds interesting! I love garlic, I love chocolate and I love cheesecake, I don’t see why they wouldn’t work together.

27 Robo Stir January 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for the chocolate garlic cheesecake truffles recipe. These truffles sound (and look) great!

28 veggietestkitchen January 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm

This is a fantastic idea. Excellent use of the Philly products. I am quite addicted myself =) I bookmarked this to make these in the future. I can’t wait!!

29 Erin February 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Wow. These look good. I’ve never had garlic in a dessert so I may have to try these. Also, I love Philadelphia cream cheeses. Excellent job.

30 Mrs. P July 9, 2012 at 7:20 am

Having never made any kind of truffles, I’m wondering . . . would any chocolate cake recipe work?

31 Jan December 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I’ve always heard that using the weirdest combinations you get the best tasting results. How can you go wrong with chocolate and garlic both being good for you! The best thing is not putting all that frosting in to glue it together. Now if I can get past crumbling a cake after baking it, then I’ll definitely try it. Lol.