Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies

December 14, 2010

in American,Cookies,Recipes

Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies

Although I come from a humble family, my father a Cuban immigrant, and my mother a former nun who decided to leave her life behind in Mexico and start a fresh beginning here in the U.S. I don’t recall a time during my childhood where I experienced hunger, true hunger.

As you can imagine my parents were very frugal. Now that I think of it… I’m pretty sure my mom was the driving force behind all this frugality. For example although we had a car, and old Comet clunker we would hardly ever take it out because it was cheaper to ride the bus. Share our Holiday Table And, on the rare occasions when we did take it out for a spin, there was no turning on the radio because it would waste the car battery. I know… this sounds a bit extreme, but we’ll just give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume she didn’t know any better. :)

Now as frugal as my mother was, the one place where money was no object was the grocery store. This meant if we walked down the cookie aisle and I had a craving for a certain type of cookie, a package of them would surely make it’s way into our shopping cart. Or for example I can remember countless times a random candy bar was *magically* placed on the conveyor belt at the checkout stand and it would manage to make it all the way into our grocery bag without being put back on the shelf.

Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies

As a child and to this day, I’ve been fortunate and blessed to have a roof over my head and food on the table. Because of this I decided to give back and do my part by participating in the “Share our Strength Holiday Table” a virtual progressive party in which fellow bloggers myself included are helping raise awareness of childhood hunger in the U.S.

Click here to learn how you too can get involved to help end child hunger in the U.S. or click here to read about other ways you can help or to make a donation.

Did you know that just one dollar can connect a child to ten healthy meals?

Nestle's Crunch Bar

On a lighter note… if a few Crunch bars manage to *magically* make their way into your grocery bag the next time you visit the grocery store. Remove them promptly from said bag as soon as you get home and make some of these…

Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookie Transformation...
Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies

Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies

adapted from Very Best Baking

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon godiva chocolate liqueur
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
5 (1.55 oz. each) Nestle crunch candy bar, chopped
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Add butter, confectioners’ sugar, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Start mixing on low speed until confectioners’ sugar has been incorporated into butter, then increase speed and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and gradually beat in flour on low to medium speed. Stir in chopped Crunch bars.

Using a 1 1/4 inch cookie scoop, scoop out dough, then roll into small balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly browned.

Sift confectioners’ sugar over cookies while they are still hot. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies onto cooling racks to cool completely. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired. Store in airtight containers.

Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies
Chocolate Crunch Snowball Cookies

Don’t forget to stop by and visit these fellow bloggers who also participated in the Share our Holiday Table dessert course.

Gourmet

Family Friendly

Vegetarian

Gluten Free

If you happened to miss any of the other courses leading up to dessert please stop by the Share our Holiday Table site for a complete list of recipes and bloggers who participated.

1 Belinda @zomppa December 14, 2010 at 6:24 am

Wow. Your family has such a fascinating history! These cookies are delightful in every way.

2 the urban baker December 14, 2010 at 6:58 am

i love snowballs and it never entered my mind to put candy in the mix! these look delicious as all your desserts do! what a great cause. it was so fun being a part of it!

3 Kathia December 14, 2010 at 7:27 am

Josie, these look so yummy, I will make them for sure!

4 Blog is the NEw Black December 14, 2010 at 8:08 am

I just posted these today, too. I had never heard of them until this year, and they are actually quite popular!

5 Maria December 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

I can’t wait to try these! Great holiday cookie!

6 Jeanette December 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing your story and recipe for this wonderful cause.

7 Carol Peterman/TableFare December 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

These are so beautiful. When I’m at the store with my husband candy bars occasionally magically appear on the conveyer belt!

8 kendall December 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm

These look amazingly rich and delicious!! Quite the skill you have for putting this together.

If you or anyone you know is interested in acquiring just such skills (maybe just mores so in your case), check out my site :)

9 Debi (Table Talk) December 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Humble beginnings give a person strength and and tenacity, which are wonderful characteristics to have. Lovely story~a great cause~ and yet another delicious cookie from you!

10 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 14, 2010 at 7:39 pm

These are beautiful cookies… And an equally beautiful post. Thanks for sharing :)

11 Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog December 14, 2010 at 8:22 pm

It’s always useful and interesting to refresh memories with the history of the families, not often easy.

Those snowball cookies are fantastic, I can eat them for dozens!

Cheers,

Gera

12 Indonesian in Turkey December 15, 2010 at 6:56 am

I never try this cookies before.. but they are ssoo adorable :D

13 RavieNomNoms December 15, 2010 at 7:11 am

Gorgeous cookies! They look so delicious!

14 Evan @swEEts December 15, 2010 at 7:18 am

What a wonderful cause! And these cookies? I hope a few crunch bars magically appear in my cart the next time we’re at the grocery store :)

15 The Cilantropist December 15, 2010 at 8:05 am

These cookies look so delicious and festive Josie, especially in those adorable snowflake cupcake wrappers! And kudos to you for participating in share our holiday table, and raising awareness of a VERY important issue. Love your roundup at the end of your post, heading over to check out the other posts now! :)

16 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free December 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

What a sweet story. You mom sounds adorable! Thank you for sharing your memories! And these Crunch Snowball Cookies look irresistible! And so simple to make! Glad to be a part of this event with you and so many other amazing people! ;)

17 Paula - bell'alimento December 15, 2010 at 9:54 am

You always amaze me Josie! Brava!

18 Joy December 15, 2010 at 11:47 am

My dad was like that. Sometimes you had to be to make sure there was food on the table. I love the cookies btw.

19 briarrose December 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Yummy….love the candy bar addition.

20 Kellie December 15, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I cannot wait to make these! I love it when Crunch bars jump in my basket! :)

21 Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen December 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I love crunch bars and these cookies sound amazing!

22 claudia lamascolo aka pegasuslegend December 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

love love love this story and as usual these cookies are darling….when are you going to open a bakery? How many times has someone said that, I am sure plenty! Merry Christmas! Beautiful job here!

23 sippitysup December 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Oh the holidays. I guess we all get sentimental at Christmas! GREG

24 Kim - Liv Life December 15, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Thank you for sharing with us! Love these cookies, have never had them, but I know a couple of teenagers who will love them!

25 sara @CaffeIna December 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I can totally relate to this little story of your family. Your mom sounds like she could have been my mom’s sister haha. But here, girl, you got into a very thoughtful initiative. Well done! (Also with the cookies…I’ve never had snowball cookies)

26 Chef Louise December 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm

hi Joseline, Louise from OC Bites- beautiful blog, love the photography… just gorgeous! hope to meet you soon
C’est Si Bon,
Chef Louise

27 January/@janiscooking December 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

great story. great cause. lovely cookies.

28 bridget {bake at 350} December 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

Really nice post, Josie! Love the cookies, too!

29 Nancy@acommunaltable December 16, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I love reading these posts and hearing about everyone’s different experiences growing up. Like you, my parents were very frugal but I never went hungry – these days though I could certainly miss a few meals. If that meant I could have some of these cookies, then it would be well worth it!!

30 Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

A gorgeous story, a gorgeous cookie and such a worthy cause. Proud to call you my friend Josie!

31 Camala - CC Recipe December 20, 2010 at 7:22 am

What a great idea, these cookies sound great! Such a great cause you are supporting, thanks for sharing!

32 Jazz Rules December 23, 2010 at 8:16 am

Wonderful images! I really like the powdered cookies on the rack. It is quiet and so festive!