Chocomintarita Macarons and Ladies Night in LA with Chef Marcela Valladolid

December 9, 2010

in Adventures,French,Gluten-Free,Macarons,Recipes

ChocoMintArita Macarons

Yes, I did it again… I created another margarita/tequila inspired macaron.

I’m sure you would have taken exactly the same course of action if someone invited you to a “Ladies Night In” event sponsored by Sauza Tequila right?

And if that wasn’t reason enough…

Let’s just say you were also going to be treated to a private cooking demonstration given by the very talented Food Network Chef from Mexican Made Easy and Author of Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor; Marcela Valladolid.

See… I knew I made the right decision.

Chef Marcela Valladolid

This chica has it all, talent, beauty, mean cooking skills, and tons of charm!

Here’s a little glimpse of some of the behind the scenes action. Ana trying to keep up with all the #LadiesNightInLA tweets that were coming in and Marla lending a quick hand with one of the cameras.

Behind the Scenes

As some of the mommy and foodie bloggers tweeted, some participated in a little Q & A session with Chef Marcela, while others sipped on a refreshing cocktail as they enjoyed catching up with old friends.

We were asked to be careful when walking from one room to another because there was camera equipment and cables scattered throughout the gorgeous home to help accommodate the live internet stream.

Tequila Lime Shrimp

In the short amount of time Chef Marcela had to work with, she managed to show us how to prepare four cocktails, four savory dishes, AND a delicious dessert!

Warm Winter Margarita, Brussels Sprouts, and the most Amazing Rack of Lamb!

Sure, before attending the event I had already ventured into incorporting tequila into some of my desserts, but using it in a brussels sprout dish? Who would have thought? Now by looking at the variety of dishes she prepared you can truly see how versatile tequila is.

Oh, and I’m not exaggerating when I say the rack of lamb I had that night was probably the best I’ve ever had, seriously!

Chef Marcela was gracious enough to share her recipes with us so I compiled them into a PDF document you can download here if you are interested in trying any of them out. If anything, you really gotta try the lamb recipe!

Chocomintarita Macarons

Chocolate Macaron Shells

110 grams ground almond flour
180 grams confectioners’ sugar
20 grams cocoa powder
100 grams egg whites
25 grams granulated sugar

In a bowl whisk together the ground almond flour, confectioners’ sugar, and cocoa power. Set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until they appear foamy. While the mixer is running carefully pour in the granulated sugar in a slow stream. Continue beating the whites on high until they reach a consistency similar to that of shaving cream.

Be careful not to over-beat, or the meringue will be too dry.

Add the dry ingredient mix to the meringue. Begin folding, continue folding until the batter resembles a thick pancake batter. The folding should not take more than 50 strokes.

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip (Ateco #807 or #809) with the batter and pipe small rounds (1.5 inches in diameter) onto parchment paper or silicone mats lined baking sheets. Let the macarons sit out for 30 minutes to an hour to harden their shells a bit.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

When ready, bake for approximately 16-18 minutes, depending on their size they might require a longer baking time. Allow them to cool, then transfer to a wire rack.

Chocomintarita Ganache

5 ounces milk chocolate chips
3 ounce heavy cream
1 tablespoon sauza tequila blanco
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

Place chocolate chips in a heat resistant bowl. Set aside. Bring heavy cream just to a boil, remove from heat and pour boiling cream over chocolate chips let them stand for 5 minutes then stir with a whisk until smooth.

Add tequila and peppermint extract. Stir to incorporate. Place ganache in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours. Once ganache has chilled sufficiently whip with a handheld mixer and pipe or use an off-set spatula to fill the macaron shells.

Chocomintarita Macarons

Just in case you were wondering how the Chocomintarita Macarons turned out and whether or not you should take the time to make some at home. I thought I would share a picture that may help you in your decision making process.

Rachael - La Fuji Mama

Hmmmm… I wonder if that’s a sign I should start selling these babies?

Foodie and Mommy Bloggers doing our thing.

Here is a short video recap of the event that Deb Lavadas put together and was kind enough to share with us.

Time for a little recognition, because after all this Ladies Night in LA event wouldn’t have been possible without the help of our fabulous:

Chef

Marcela Valladolid

Organizer

Beth from Role Mommy

Hosts

Elizabeth Peterson from Traded my BMW for a Minivan
Deb Lavadas from Debbie in the OC
Sugar Jones from Sugar in the Raw
Ana Flores from Latina Bloggers Connect

And, of course it wouldn’t have been a party without these ladies!

Rachael of La Fuji Mama
Marla from Family Fresh Cooking
Mac Dishin’ In The Kitchen
Romy from Romy Raves
The Hollywood Housewife
Linda from Peach Head
Cheryl from Mommy Pants
Yvonne from Yvonne in LA
Andrea from Savvy Sassy Moms
Aracely from Day Tripping Mom
Ciaran from Mom Fluential
Dariela from Mami Talks

And last but certainly not least, thank you Sauza for sponsoring the event and for making sure we all got back safely by providing us with a ride home.

1 Paula - bell'alimento December 9, 2010 at 6:37 am

You guys get to do the coolest stuff ; ) Favolosa!

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 9, 2010 at 8:04 am

WOW – I would never think of adding tequila to chocolate ganache. And with mint! Delish. And beautiful work on the macarons – beaultiful ladies, too, of course. Beautiful post!

3 Daydreamer Desserts December 9, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Thanks so much Victoria!

4 Blog is the NEw Black December 9, 2010 at 8:31 am

WOw- so impressed!

5 Belinda @zomppa December 9, 2010 at 9:15 am

The answer is yes, I would join. The question is, where was I?? =) Looks like way too much fun.

6 Daydreamer Desserts December 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Yeah, that’s exactly right??? Where were you…? =)

7 Ken│hungry rabbit December 9, 2010 at 10:25 am

What a fantastic party and you really should start selling those beautiful macs of your. Merry Christmas!

8 Daydreamer Desserts December 9, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Ken, I appreciate the encouragement!

9 Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog December 9, 2010 at 11:51 am

I need to go that type of sweet events often :)

And of course that macarons are to die for!!

Cheers,

Gera

10 Daydreamer Desserts December 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm

You definitely should, I’m sure Uruguay is quite nice this time of year… but California isn’t too shabby either. ;)

11 Lora December 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Looks like a great event. You macarons are wonderful. The name alone is fabulous.

12 Daydreamer Desserts December 9, 2010 at 8:56 pm

My husband found it hard to pronounce, but I went with it anyway. ;)

13 Nancy@acommunaltable December 9, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Beautiful photos and I definitely think the addition of tequila to the macs was a home run.

It seems like when I add alcohol to dishes the alcohol acts to amplify the flavors – did you have that experience with the macarons??

Looks like you all had a wonderful time!!

14 Daydreamer Desserts December 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Thank you Nancy! I’ve found when I cook the alcohol out it helps enhance the other flavors, however when I leave it intact it’s usually the star of the show. :)

15 YvonneinLA December 10, 2010 at 8:57 am

Your macaroons were delicious! I’m going to attempt to make them along with some of Chef Marcela’s dishes. Great meeting you!!

16 marla {family fresh cooking} December 11, 2010 at 5:03 am

Josie, this re-cap post is amazing! Your chocomintarita macarons are GENIUS!! They were perfect & everyone should try making them – your baking skills are perfection :) I am so happy we were able to spend this special night together. xo

17 Daydreamer Desserts December 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Thank you, had a fantastic time with you too Marla!

18 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels December 12, 2010 at 6:17 am

Wow your macarons are ALWAYS so gorgeous. I agree with Ken, you should definitely sell them, they just beautiful.
What a fun night. Great company, tasty food and lovely macarons! I love the flavor that you did for these macarons. You are so creative. :)

19 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels December 12, 2010 at 6:17 am

20 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels December 12, 2010 at 6:18 am

Meant to say *they’re just beautiful!

21 Victor @ Random Cuisine December 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

Cool tequila in chocolate, I will sure try it out!

22 Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen December 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

I’ve recently become a macaron fanatic and I love your recipe! The evening sounds like it was lots of fun as well.

23 Kim-Liv Life December 12, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Wat a super fun day! I would have loved to attend this event, but your lovely photos made me feel like I was almost there. Being a tequila girl, I know these would be right up my alley. Nicely done!!

24 Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 12, 2010 at 4:27 pm

What a party! And what an inspired macaron! Josie – you *are* the mac queen!

25 Joy December 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm