Laminated Pumpkin Brioche

November 24, 2010

in Breads,French,Recipes,Yeast Breads

Laminated Pumpkin Brioche topped with Cocoa Nibs

To the tune of Auld Lang Syne I say au revoir Project Food Blog Challenge and Bienvenue à nouveau le week-end.

This little venture has taught me so much and I am happy I decided to participate. I am proud I made it down to the last 46 contestants, an accomplishment in and of itself. Yet, I know I have much more to learn to become a more well rounded food blogger and look forward to growing with you.

Not knowing whether or not I would advance to the next round I decided to be proactive and make a delicious pumpkin post for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Along with me, these fabulous ladies are also some of the Project Food Blog Video challenge exiles, please stop by and check out their pumpkin inspired posts:

Asha from Fork Spoon Knife
Heena from Tiffin Tales
Linda from Salty Seattle
Lindsey from Hot Polka Dot
Liren from Kitchen Confidante
Meaghan from The Decorated Cookie
Paula from Bell’alimento
Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen

Have a Sweet Thanksgiving Day!

Pumpkin Brioche Dough

Dough
5 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

Sponge
Whisk together the milk and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and let it rest for 5 minutes. Add remaining sponge ingredients to the yeast stir well to combine, cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for 40-45 minutes until bubbles form.

Dough
Whisk together the flour and salt. Add flour and eggs to the sponge and mix on low for 1 – 2 minutes with the dough hook attachment, until the eggs have been absorbed. Increase speed to medium and continue mixing for 5 – 7 minutes, until the dough begins to be slapped around the bowl.

Reduce the speed by one, and begin adding the butter 2 tablespoons at a time waiting until the butter has been absorbed into the dough before adding the next 2 tablespoons. Stop to scrape down the bowl if necessary between additions. Once all the butter has been added continue mixing/kneading the dough for another 5 – 7 minutes until shiny and smooth.

Transfer dough to a clean bowl lightly coated with vegetable oil, cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm place free of drafts and let it rise for about 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

With your knuckles gently punch down the dough and fold one half into the other, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight for it’s second rise.

Note: If not baking the remaining dough right away wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month, thaw dough in the refrigerator when ready to use.

Baking regular Brioche:

Take 1 third of the dough and place it in a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle measuring 9″ at it’s longest side and roll away from you as if you were rolling a jelly roll and place inside the prepared loaf pan. Spray the top of the loaf with a little cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Lightly brush top of loaf with egg wash (1 egg whisked together) and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for another 30 minutes until a golden brown crust has formed and/or the internal temperature of the loaf has reached 180 degrees F.

Allow loafs to cool before serving. Loaf will stay fresh when left at room temperature if tightly wrapped with plastic for up to 2 days.

Laminated Brioche
Inspired from The Modern Cafe by Francisco Migoya

Pumpkin Brioche
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Before starting the lamination process make sure the dough is cold (fridge temp), and the butter is about 70 degrees F.

Roll dough into an 1″ thick rectangle, measuring approximately 12″ x 24″ on a floured surface. Form a butter block measuring approx 16″ x 11″ by rolling the butter between two sheets of parchment paper.

Place the butter block over the dough leaving a 1/2″ border around the edges. Begin folding the dough in thirds starting with the side that isn’t covered with butter. Press the dough down to seal making sure there are no air pockets.

Note: Dust your working surface with flour as needed during the rolling process, but be sure and dust off any excess flour before folding.

Now turn the dough so that the long seam, or widest part of the dough is facing you. Roll dough into a rectangle that is approximately the same size as what you started with, and fold dough into thirds once again. Repeat this step twice, then wrap dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Repeat folding the dough into thirds two more times, then wrap with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.

Divide dough into thirds, unbaked dough can be frozen up to 1 month if wrapped tightly with plastic wrap.

Take 1 third of the dough and roll out into a rectangle until it’s about 1/4″ thick and about 8″ wide on it’s narrow side.

If using a filling spread a thin even layer over the dough, then begin rolling the dough away from you. With a sharp knife cut 2″ pieces and place in cupcake liners or mini panettone molds.

Let the brioche proof for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 13 minutes or once the internal temperature of the brioche reaches 203 degrees F and serve.

Optional Fillings

1/2 cup pureed pumpkin, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and 1/4 cup of cocoa nib bits + additional to sprinkle over the tops of the brioche before baking.
    1/2 cup melted chocolate
    1/2 cup whipped cream cheese, 1/2 pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup sugar

Laminated Pumpkin Brioche topped with Cocoa Nib bits

1 Belinda @zomppa November 24, 2010 at 4:49 pm

That looks soooooooooooo delicious!!

2 Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Gorgeous. Simply stunning. SO shocked you were out this time round. Your macaron video was charming AND made them seem totally do-able. I loved it and will refer friends to it from now on when they ask about macs. These look beautiful and I bet they taste lovely too! xox

3 Daydreamer Desserts November 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Thanks so much Mardi, best of luck to you! We’re rootin’ for ya! :)

4 Ken│hungry rabbit November 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

You have the magic touch that makes everything you baked mouth watering n delicious. This would have been a winner for PFB. Contest or not, you always have wonderful ideas and beautiful desserts.

5 Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2010 at 2:13 am

Thank you so much Ken!

6 Amelia from Z Tastylife November 24, 2010 at 7:03 pm

That looks wonderful and so well risen!!! I too am so sad not to see you in this round. A big hug. Looking forward to reading your future posts! Happy thanksgiving!

7 Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2010 at 2:13 am

Hi Amelia, thanks for the hug. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

8 Hot Polka Dot's Mom November 25, 2010 at 9:52 am

I am one of those whose jaw dropped to the floor when you were eliminated round 7. Your culinary skill is evident in your detailed documented process through words and pictures. Your instructional video on macarons was nothing short of mesmerizing. I watched it three times. Again, another brilliant post.

FoodBuzz, I am shaking my head. Are you listening?

9 Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thanks Lindsey! I think it wasn’t the fact that the video wasn’t helpful, I think it might have not have met the bar in terms of the production aspect or my camera presence wasn’t all that great compared to the other contestants. Who knows…?

10 Hot Polka Dot's Mom November 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

Actually it’s Judy here, Lindsey’s Mom. Lindsey is the accomplished blogger. I am just her cheerleader :)

I think your camera presence was just fine. Instructional content amazing, video flowed well. I guess one could say the audio was not high end, but many contestants were in the same boat. High quality audio can only be achieved with very expensive recording equipment. Audio should not be a factor in judging content. Besides, $10,000 can buy some pretty decent recording equipment, eh?

11 Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Hi Judy, sorry for the confusion… yes I would say $10K would not only help improve the audio factor, it could do a whole lot more. ;) Thanks again & Happy Thanksgiving! :)

12 the blissful baker November 25, 2010 at 11:49 am

these look incredible! i made pumpkin brioche red bean buns recently, and they were just heavenly!

13 Jeanne November 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’d love to try this brioche! I was so sad to hear that you didn’t advance in PFB. Your video was very well executed and it definitely taught me something. You can definitely be proud of your work throughout the challenges!

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

14 Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Jeanne, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :)

15 Chef Dennis November 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm

what perfect little brioche…sigh….I definitely think we need to use pumpkin all year long, not just at thanksgiving! Pumpkin adds so much to so many wonderful baked goods! You did such a great job in the challenge, but at least you have your life back now….I don’t know where you found the time for such an exhausting endeavor!

Hope you had a restful thanksgiving my friend!
Dennis

16 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Thank you Chef! :)

17 Amy Bakes Everything November 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Amazing! I love love love laminated doughs! Very well done!

18 Paula November 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I can only imagine how disappointing not advancing to the next round was (is) for you. You were a wonderful contender throughout and you should be absolutely proud of your achievements and the fact that you competed so well. I admire everyone who had the courage to enter.
This is a beautiful pumpkin brioche!

19 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Thank you Paula!

20 Liren November 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I agree with everyone when I say I was in utter shock that you did not progress to the next challenge. The video was such a difficult medium (I know it was for me!), but I thought you tackled it quite well and I know for a fact that I will be referring to yours many times in the future when I make macarons. Nevertheless, know that I truly admire you and your blog, your recipes and photos are just stunning. I love your laminated pumpkin brioches, I can’t wait to try this recipe!

21 Petes November 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Amazing job!

22 Diana@Spain in Iowa November 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Josie, I was stunned as well and let me tell ya… you are AMAZING! The mac video made it totally doable for me and it’s still on my list for this Christmas season. Once I get it… you better believe I’m giving you all the credit in my post… because yes… I can not wait to post about macarons! This is just as delicious! Besitos Amiga, Diana

23 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Mil gracias amiga, I can’t wait for you to give them a try!

24 C&C Cakery November 25, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Congradulations of making it this far! I’ve really enjoyed reading all your entries. And thank you for sharing this one with us as well. You don’t need any words for this one – the photos truly speak for themselves. I’ve added this to my bread recipe box – I’ll have to try it soon before pumpkin is out of season!

25 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Thank you so much, it’s so great to hear. I’m glad these babies weren’t camera shy. ;)

26 Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris November 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Simply…professional! I have no doubts that with or without this contest, you will flourish!!
Good luck!!

27 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Thank you Cristina!

28 sara @CaffeIna November 25, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I was so sad to see you leave the contest but as I’ve said to others I’m glad you still made the post. These brioches look amazing! I am sure we will see new amazing things from you independently of the competition!

29 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Mille grazie bella!

30 eatgreek.net November 26, 2010 at 12:45 am

this looks delicious! excellent work! :D

31 Evan @swEEts November 26, 2010 at 7:52 am

Sad to see you out of the contest but thanks for still sharing this fantastic recipe! I’ve been wanting to try brioche for a while now and yours just inspired me to get it done as soon as I can!

32 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I can’t wait for you to try it out! :)

33 marla {family fresh cooking} November 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm

wow! These are puffy & perfect. Congrats on getting as far as you did in the Foodbuzz challenge. You all put so much hard effort & professional work into each of your posts. Your commitment taught you lots I am sure. In the meantime, here’s to perfect pumpkin brioche!! xo

34 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Marla! Indeed… the challenge was quite a learning experience, but well worth it!

35 Tiny Urban Kitchen November 26, 2010 at 8:59 pm

These little brioches are adorable! And I totally agree with everyone who has commented above – I also thought your macaron video was really instructive. I was super impressed with the ease with which you piped them out. If only I could get such nice looking feet!

Great job in this competition as a whole though. Happy Thanksgiving!

36 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Thank you so much, you all should know how much each of your comments and praises means to me! :) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving too!

37 Stephanie November 27, 2010 at 6:20 am

Congrats on your challenge! I’m definately saving this recipe!

38 Liana @ femme fraiche November 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Congratulations on amazing job in PFB!! This recipe is absolutely delicious. Pumpkin and brioche? That is genius!!

39 Nancy@acommunaltable November 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm

The brioche are beautiful and I know they taste divine. To say that I was shocked you didn’t advance in PFB is an understatement – I honestly thought your video was better than some of those who advanced – so next year I definitely think I should be a judge! :-)

Having said that though, you should be VERY proud of your work… you are an amazing baker, blogger and person!!!

Hope you are feeling better!

40 Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Thank you so much Nancy, the way I see it… everything happens for a reason. :) I’m feeling a little better and can’t wait to get back to baking that’s for sure! Hope you had a great Holiday!

41 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 30, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Yum! This looks fantastic… You did an amazing job with PFB. Congrats on making it as far as you did (unlike me… I was too lazy to do the first challenge!).