Brownie Scones

August 27, 2010

in American,Breads,Recipes,Scones

Brownie Scones

Boy do I have a great recipe to share with you today. This recipe is adapted from Unplugged Baking by Nicole Rees.

As I was flipping through the pages of Baking Unplugged I came upon this specific recipe – Brownie Scones, as you probably guessed… the flipping immediately stopped and the reading began!

The first eight words on that page were all I needed to read before I started pulling ingredients out of the pantry.

This is my favorite recipe in the book.

The texture of these scones is not as fuddgie as a brownie nor as heavy as a traditional scone. They are in fact much lighter, yet they are full of flavor! They are the perfect scone for a chocolate lover.

Brownie Scones

2 teaspoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, mini chips
2 tablespoons heavy cream, to brush tops
sugar for sprinkling
chocolate chunks, to top scones (optional)

1. In a double broiler melt the unsweetened chocolate and set aside to cool.

2. Slice butter into 1 inch cubes place it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.

3. In a small bowl whist together the egg, 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, molasses and vanilla extract and set aside.

4. In a large bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder salt, and instant espresso.

5. Remove the butter from the freezer, using a pastry blender cut the butter into the dry ingredients until you have a fine crumb texture.

6. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients, then add the melted choclate. Carefully stir the ingredients with a fork until just barely incorporated. Finally stir in the chocolate chips making sure you don’t over mix.

7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

8. Roll the dough over a floured surface into the shape of two 5 inch squares about 1/2 inches high, then slice into 4 triangles by cutting them at an angle.

9. Brush the tops with the 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.

10. Bake about 15 minutes. Serve them warm or let them cool on a wire rack and store.

Note: As a result of me getting side tracked by my need to top at least just a few of my scones with chocolate chunks, I totally forgot to sprinkle them with sugar after topping them with heavy cream. :)

Oh, and I have no idea what happened to the missing piece off that scone…

1 sara @ CaffeIna August 27, 2010 at 11:25 pm

This recipe is wonderful! It made drool even a non-chocolate lover like myself! I'm sure if I make them my husband will ask for them for every single morning

2 Debbie August 28, 2010 at 12:56 am

Wow, this is like a chocolate lover's breakfast dream! This still counts as breakfast right? Since its called a scone and all :-) Or maybe for dessert with a big scoop of ice cream…I see so maybe times of the day I could eat this! Thanks for sharing

3 Subterfuge Diva August 28, 2010 at 2:11 am

Ok, this is officially my favorite recipe of a scone! All that chocolate, coffee, cream and more chocolate….oooh. Okay, I've gotta catch my breath now, enough so that I can bake these myself!

4 Curried Cupcakes August 28, 2010 at 6:06 am

That looks amazing. I don't know much about scones, so is this supposed to be a breakfast food? or a desert? or both perhaps? either way it looks divine.

5 Evan Thomas August 28, 2010 at 6:10 am

Mmmm, deliciously sinful :-)

6 Joanne August 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I have been on such a chocolate kick lately and so I absolutely need to have these! Love the new look! Question though, are we going to have to update our feeds with your new address? Or will the switch be automatic?

7 TripleScoop August 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Your new website is as awesome just like these chocolate scones! I love the way you have added the mobile plugin so I can read this easily on my iPhone! You rock great job!

8 Daydreamer Desserts August 29, 2010 at 10:27 am

Thanks Bao, glad you like the new site! :)

9 Lora August 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Wow. these look delicious!

10 Camala - CC Recipe August 30, 2010 at 7:09 am

Wow, these scones look full of chocolaty goodness, the texture does looks light, thanks for sharing!

11 RavieNomNoms August 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Oh my word, these are just gorgeous little things aren’t they? How fabulous!

12 bridget {bake at 350} August 30, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Wow, oh, wow, oh wow!!! Brownie SCONES?!?

{PS…just stumbled this.} :)

13 Daydreamer Desserts August 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Bridget!

14 Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) August 31, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Brownie Scones?? Really!! I didn’t even know such a thing existed. How I have been wishing for that book. Totally going ot make these.

P.S Your new site looks awesome!

P.P.S – I see you used Grandma’s Molasses. How do you decide between robust and original?

15 Daydreamer Desserts August 31, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Thank you Avanika! You are going to laugh… I just happened to have robust in my pantry so that’s what I used. They are truly fantastic…

16 Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 31, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Congrats on the new look and ummm… brownie scones? Yes please!

17 Daydreamer Desserts August 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Mardi! These are so good it’s scary… =)

18 Evan @swEEts September 1, 2010 at 6:50 am

I just stumbled upon your blog and I sure am glad I did.. these scones.. well I think I just died and went to heaven.. I love brownies and I love scones so together I can only imagine how wonderful they are!!

19 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 1, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I saw these scones while I was sitting in one of the sessions at IFBC and didn’t have time to comment. So, I’m back… and they look just as wonderful as I remembered. Absolutely LOVELY!

20 Tawny @http://theyearofthecookie.blogspot.com/ September 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

Hey, I just found your blog and it looks great! I need to make these scones soon!

21 delicieux September 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Wow, these look amazing and it sounds like I am going to have to get this book. So glad I found your site through Bellalimento!

22 Victor @ Random Cuisine December 3, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I have never seen a triangular scone…It is probably me then. Looks decadent and amazing!