Who loves strawberries?
I Do… I Do…!
I mean just look at them aren’t they one of the most beautiful fruits you’ve ever seen?
I happen to think they are.
According to PickYourOwn.org strawberries are ready for picking in California, Florida, & Texas. They also have great tips on strawberry picking techniques and information on local strawberry festivals.
If strawberry season hasn’t begun just yet in your part of the country, just hang tight a few more weeks. It’s worth the wait.
Sure in California we have access to strawberries most of the year. But there is nothing like the crisp sweet, sligtly tangy taste of a freshly picked strawberry.
This weekend I brought home with me a couple of pounds of strawberries, they are just as fantastic as a standalone snack, as they are in a grilled chicken salad, or in about any dessert.
Here’s a quick example of one I thought you might like.
- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- see notes for optional mixins
- In a blender or food processor puree the strawberries, cream cheese, sour cream, half-and-half, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Pour ice cream base in ice cream maker and churn per manufacturer’s instructions, approx. 30 minutes.
- While the ice cream is churning, prepare mix-ins if desired.
- Transfer ice cream to a sealable container and freeze for at least an hour or two before serving.
4 oz strawberries hulled and finely diced
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
In a small bowl combine sugar and strawberries, mix well and place in the freezer.
Chocolate Covered Chocolate Graham Crackers
3 chocolate graham crackers ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate 1 teaspoon heavy cream Melt bittersweet chocolate and heavy cream in the microwave in 30 second intervals at 50% power. With a spatula cover chocolate graham crackers with melted chocolate and place in the freezer. Approximately 5 minutes before ice cream is done, remove strawberries and graham crackers from freezer. Add macerated strawberries to the ice cream while still churning. Roughly chop graham crackers and add to ice cream.
Then it’s party time…